Tawas City Residents, Business Owners, and Visitors:
As you all know, we are in the middle of a worldwide health pandemic unlike anything most of us have faced in our lifetimes. The City of Tawas City is committed to the health of our residents and is taking precautions to mitigate the spread of the COVID-19 virus with guidance from state and county health officials. These measures will not impact critical services such as drinking water, police, fire, emergency operations, or waste collection; however some City services may be modified.
- For now, the City Council meetings will take place as scheduled. All other nonessential Board and Commission meetings will be cancelled as necessary. Please check the City’s website tawascity.org for the most current information. On March 18, 2020, Governor Whitmer signed an Executive Order that will allow the City Council members and members of the public to participate in public meetings virtually. If you have any interest in participating in any of our meetings virtually while this Executive Order is in effect, please contact City Hall at (989) 362-8688 so staff can make accommodations if available.
- At the March 16, 2020 City Council meeting, the City Council took action to suspend water shut-offs for nonpayment, and will not be charging a late fee on unpaid water/sewer/garbage bills until further notice. Please understand that this action does not alleviate your responsibility to pay your bill and action will be resumed in the future to collect delinquent bills.
- As of March 23, 2020, City Hall will be closed to public entry. Payments may be placed in the drop box that is located at the entrance to the parking lot behind City Hall. Payments may also be made online at tawascity.org, or by calling (855) 894-2404. If you need to converse with anyone at City Hall, please either email [email protected] or call City Hall at (989) 362-8688. Appointments may be scheduled if necessary.
- The Tawas City Library has been closed since March 13, 2020 and will remain closed until further notice. Any scheduled activities have also been cancelled.
- Cross connection inspections and water meter changes have been cancelled and rescheduled in the future. Members of the Department of Public Works will not be entering any residences except in the event of an emergency.
- Please be aware that our parks and the playground equipment in them are NOT We ask that you practice social distancing while enjoying our parks and other open spaces, and do your best to remain at least ten (10) feet away from others.
While we understand the City’s response to slowing the spread of COVID-19 may cause some frustrations, we are committed to keeping our employees and the public safe while still delivering City services. We will continue to monitor this rapidly evolving situation in consultation with health officials to determine if further changes to operations are needed. Please watch the City’s website at tawascity.org for the most current information.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact City Hall at [email protected] or (989) 362-8688.
The City of Tawas City wishes you all the best of health!