Beginning on April 1st, 2020 Waste Management will temporarily suspending the pickup of one large item per week such as furniture, carpet, mattresses, appliances etc., as that is not deemed an essential part of the service due to the (COVID-19) Pandemic during this time of emergency. Regular pickup of trash will continue as usual.
Tawas City Residents, Business Owners, and Visitors:
As you all know, we are in the middle of a worldwide health pandemic unlike anything most of us have faced in our lifetimes. The City of Tawas City is committed to the health of our residents and is taking precautions to mitigate the spread of the COVID-19 virus with guidance from state and county health officials. These measures will not impact critical services such as drinking water, police, fire, emergency operations, or waste collection; however some City services may be modified.
- For now, the City Council meetings will take place as scheduled. All other nonessential Board and Commission meetings will be cancelled as necessary. Please check the City’s website tawascity.org for the most current information. On March 18, 2020, Governor Whitmer signed an Executive Order that will allow the City Council members and members of the public to participate in public meetings virtually. If you have any interest in participating in any of our meetings virtually while this Executive Order is in effect, please contact City Hall at (989) 362-8688 so staff can make accommodations if available.
- At the March 16, 2020 City Council meeting, the City Council took action to suspend water shut-offs for nonpayment, and will not be charging a late fee on unpaid water/sewer/garbage bills until further notice. Please understand that this action does not alleviate your responsibility to pay your bill and action will be resumed in the future to collect delinquent bills.
- As of March 23, 2020, City Hall will be closed to public entry. Payments may be placed in the drop box that is located at the entrance to the parking lot behind City Hall. Payments may also be made online at tawascity.org, or by calling (855) 894-2404. If you need to converse with anyone at City Hall, please either email [email protected] or call City Hall at (989) 362-8688. Appointments may be scheduled if necessary.
- The Tawas City Library has been closed since March 13, 2020 and will remain closed until further notice. Any scheduled activities have also been cancelled.
- Cross connection inspections and water meter changes have been cancelled and rescheduled in the future. Members of the Department of Public Works will not be entering any residences except in the event of an emergency.
- Please be aware that our parks and the playground equipment in them are NOT We ask that you practice social distancing while enjoying our parks and other open spaces, and do your best to remain at least ten (10) feet away from others.
While we understand the City’s response to slowing the spread of COVID-19 may cause some frustrations, we are committed to keeping our employees and the public safe while still delivering City services. We will continue to monitor this rapidly evolving situation in consultation with health officials to determine if further changes to operations are needed. Please watch the City’s website at tawascity.org for the most current information.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact City Hall at [email protected] or (989) 362-8688.
The City of Tawas City wishes you all the best of health!
The City of Tawas City will be accepting bids on the following equipment:
- 1996 Ford F250 4×4 with 167,516 miles
- 1993 Cronkite Trailer
You can view photos here.
Bids will be accepted until noon on April 1, 2020.
The City of Tawas City reserves the right to accept or reject any or all bids. All sales are final and equipment is sold as is. Additional information is available by calling City Hall or on the City’s website at tawascity.org. Items may be inspected at the Tawas City Department of Public Works building located at 460 Meadow Road by appointment only; please call 989-362-8688.
Sealed bids should be sent to the City Clerk, City of Tawas City, 550 West Lake Street, PO Box 568, Tawas City, Michigan, 48764, or by dropping off in the drop box behind City Hall with the number and name of equipment from the above list marked on the outside of the envelope.
The City of Tawas City is requesting bids for the rehabilitation of the First Street bridge and Mathews Street bridge. Bridge rehabilitation includes: Structures, Rem portion; Structure, Timber; Excavation; Drainage Structures; Structure backfill; Concrete sidewalk; and HMA paving. Information and bidding documents for the project will be available on March 19, 2020 and may be downloaded by clicking links below as the information comes in or you may call City Hall at (989) 362-8688 to request an electronic copy. A mandatory pre-bid conference for the project will be held on Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 10:00 am. Bids may be submitted to Tawas City Hall at 550 West Lake Street, PO Box 568, Tawas City, Michigan 48764, and are due on Wednesday, April 8, 2020 by 1:00 pm, at which point all bids will be opened publicly. The City has a local preference policy and reserves the right to accept or reject any or all bids, as deemed in the best interest of the City.
In an effort to help reduce the potential spread of COVID-19, the Tawas City Library will be closed until further notice beginning today, March 13, 2020. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
Beginning on April 1, 2020, Tawas City Hall will have new hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday 7:30 am to 5:00 pm Friday 7:30 am to 1:00 pm
Please remove all grave decorations by April 1, 2020. Decorations can be returned to the cemetery one week before Memorial Day. Contact Tawas City Hall at 362-8688 if you have any questions.
The nonpartisan City Primary Election will be on Tuesday August 4, 2020, to nominate a Mayor for a two (2) year term expiring December 31, 2022, three (3) Council members-at-large for four (4) year terms expiring December 31, 2024, and one (1) Council member-at large for two (2) year partial term expiring December 31, 2022.
In order for a candidate’s name to appear on the ballot, a nonpartisan nominating petition with a minimum of ten (10) signatures of registered voters in the City of Tawas City must be filed with the City Clerk no later than 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday April 21, 2020. Nonpartisan nominating petitions and affidavit of identity form are available at the Tawas City Hall, 550 W. Lake Street, Tawas City, MI 48763.
Iosco County Emergency Management has provided sand bags to local units of government in Iosco County for use in shoreline protection. The bags are available to Iosco County residents free of charge and must be used in Iosco County. Please contact City Hall at (989) 362-8688 or [email protected] for additional information and to arrange a time to pick up bags. The sand bags are only available on a first-come, first-served basis and while supplies last.